POL 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Westphalian Sovereignty, De Jure, No Authority

32 views5 pages

Document Summary

The state as actor: states, nations, and sovereignty, )hat is (cid:873)the state(cid:874)? )hat is the state system, the state, the nation, sovereignty and the system i. How do nations differ from states: )hat is sovereignty, and when is it violated, origins of westphalian system, peace of )estphalia (cid:840)1648(cid:841) Treaty of munster i. ii: )here the )estphalian system originated, but debatable i. ii. iii. iv. v. vi. vii. viii, concluded the 30 years )ar (cid:840)1618-1648(cid:841) Killed 30% of germany: two main authority structures i. ii. Papacy (cid:840)spiritual(cid:841: polities ruled by kings, dukes, bishops, etc, structure of (cid:873)system(cid:874) was . But not absolute, because neither the emperor or pope had complete control over lower subjects (ery blurry borders. Regions often worried about other regions invading i. ii: the effects of westphalia, revision of political borders. Independence of polities i. ii. (cid:873) cuius regio, eius religio b. i. ii. iii. iv. i. (cid:873)his region, his religion(cid:874)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers