PSC 151 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Positive Illusions, Terror Management Theory, Impression Management

35 views4 pages
22 Mar 2017
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Making choices about present and plans for the future: very difficult to execute / best of intentions but complex, self is ceo in executive functioning. Self-regulation: process by which people change their behavior to attain personal goals. They can distract temporarily but cannot keep doing that forever since it"s addictive. Desire to manage the image we present is universal: but kinds of image we want to present vary by culture, ex: saving face and avoiding public embarrassment in certain. Self-handicapping: self-sabotaging behaviors performed to protect the self from possible failure: creating excuses and/or obstacles. Behavioral self-handicapping: actually doing the behavior (ex: pulling an all- nighter, partying instead of working; i was so wasted that i didn"t do that, not because i didn"t know the material) Reported self-handicapping: publically claim to do the behavior (ex: lying about pulling an all-nighter, complaining about not feeling well: excuses to preserve self-impression.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers