WMS 50 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Cultural Appropriation, Social Capital, Stereotype

47 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Not : othering - the process by which we exclude people from a group; us vs. them, using the values, characteristics, features of the dominant group as the supposedly neutral standard against which all other should be evaluated. Sameness i. i: using terms that distinguish the subordinate from the dominant group. Ex. (cid:873)lady(cid:874) doctor, minority groups aka non-white groups, strong female characters, male nurse: stereotyping - involves making a simple generali ation about a group and i. claiming that all members of the group conform to it. Homogeni es difference: exoticizing and romanticizing - particularly insidious because they superficially seem to be about appreciation, seemingly positive traits and cultural practices are identified and exalted. Ex. a girl wearing a headdress to gain social capital and look cool, but she probably isn"t supporting native americans. Being poor was romantici ed poor, and brought awareness to being poor, rather than actually revealing the different truths to being poor.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers