WMS 50 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Raewyn Connell, Hegemonic Masculinity, Masculinity

73 views4 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Masculinities: hegemony - domination of a group over others; domination by consent; everyone socially agrees upon this. Domination of men over other men depending on their masculinity. Ex. gay/effeminate men; because heterosexuality is a quality of hegemonic masculinity i: )ays certain masculinities are subordinated: (cid:873)beta(cid:874) male - wolfpack dynamics; one alpha male wolf gets to breed; any other male wolf are betas. Michael jordan gets to inhabit this apex position of masculinity despite of his race; but this doesn"t mean that this position extends to other, say, lesser known basketball players of the same race. Inhabits a marginali ed masculinity who is then authori ed because of his social position race ii. i: raciali ed males" masculinities are perceived as a threat, marginali ation/authori ation, traditional hegemonic definition of masculinity, homophobia, misogyny, other oppression i. Disney movies teaches boys to see women as objects. Disney movies teaches boys that their bodies should be fit/muscular/chiseled.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers