ASIANAM 50 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Franz Boas, Evolutionism, Romanticism

14 views3 pages

Document Summary

Critique of unilinear social evolutionism: franz boas, empirical problems: based upon poor second hand accounts, speculative thinking and didn"t even spend time in the places they wrote about, sociocultural evolution is multilinear. c. i. Language, ritual complex, shifts social organization: histories are not independent of each other. d. i. Unilinear evolutionist treated it as a rest d. ii. Boas: histories are intermingled and we have contact with eachother and things spread d. iii. Cultural diffusion: elements get borrowed, words, technology d. iv. The bow and arrow was from contact among other groups and it was passed on to other people. d. v. The horse was introduced to native americans by the spanish. d. vi. Borrowed elements from other societies: progress is a value laden term e. i. Change was considered to be progress, a movement towards a goal e. iii. Culturally specific criteria is being used to establish this rank order. e. iv. Ethnocentrism: taking one"s own cultural order and treating it as the best cultural order.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers