ASIANAM 50 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Termite, Scientific Racism, Ethnocentrism

21 views3 pages

Document Summary

Culture and human nature: the anthropological perspective: an evolutionary perspective a. i. Chimpanzees have a common ancestors with humans a. ii. Humans and chimpanzees are cultural: are chimpanzees cultural creatures? b. i. This is not an instinct but it is a learned skill b. iv. Implications: if we were to acknowledge that humans are cultural and chimpanzees are cultural, is the common ancestor also cultural? b. v. If this is the case then culture has preceded tremendous biological changes through years: fossil and archeological evidence c. i. Hallmark feature between chimps and humans is that humans have bipedalism. Humans: first stone tools 2. 5+ million years ago c. i. 3. Brains not even half the size of ours. Things from our ancestors that are clearly cultural but there are huge biological features c. i. 5. Idea that we have evolved biologically with culture. The idea that we evolved to have culture is false c. i. 7. c. i. 8. Culture is apart of the environment that we have taken shape to.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers