BIO SCI 93 Lecture 6: lecture 6 - 10/5

18 views5 pages
blushzebra850 and 37920 others unlocked
BIO SCI 93 Full Course Notes
BIO SCI 93 Full Course Notes
Verified Note
40 documents

Document Summary

A steady traffic of small molecules and ions move across the plasma membranes in both directions. The cell takes in oxygen, and releases carbon dioxide. Other ions are also regulated as inorganic ions like na+, k+, etc. A cell is able to take up some small molecules, and ions and exclude others, and some move through the membrane at different rates. Snapp hydrocarbons, nonpolar molec, gases like co2 and o2 c. ) diffuse down concentration gradient. Transport proteins ( active and passive transport) a. ) hydrophilic , charged ions, larger molecules b. ) Specific transport protein for each substance c. ) passive-no energy (facilitated diffusion), active- energy c. i. ) c. ii. ) Channel: fits aquaporin channel d. ) active transport d. i. ) Electrogenic pump: generates a voltage across the membrane. (d. i. 1) All transport proteins= carrier proteins not channel proteins. Vesicular transport:large molecules like proteins and carbs. a. ) Endocytosis: vesicle formed from the plasma membrane, bringing external molecules inside the cell a. i. ) a. ii. ) a. iii. )