POL SCI 124E Lecture 2: 124E 2.1
Course CodePOL SCI 124E
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Race & Class
● “New black”
○ it’s dangerous to say that some people are “blacker” than others because it
suggests that there is a specific way to be black
■ There doesn’t need to be a new term to describe those who don’t fit into
stereotypes, most people didn’t live by stereotypes anyway!
● New Black means emotions aren’t a slave to “white foolery”, New Blacks will excel no
○ Yes, BUT black people are STILL subject to discrimination beyond their control
● Universalistic vs targeted policies
○ Broken windows policy targeted at low income neighborhoods
■ Caused uptick in arrests
■ Targeted policy
○ Stop and frisk
■ Affected black and latino men in New York
○ Crack vs cocaine carrying different sentences, essay topic?
○ How schools are built and funded by property taxes, essay topic
● Can non race-specific interventions solve racial problems?
● War on drugs richard nixon
○ Associated black people with heroin to vilify
○ Response to rising black power movement
● Rates of marijuana use between white and black are similar
○ Yet black people are arrested at 3 times the rate
● Policy solution: decriminalize/legalize
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version