PP&D 4 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Utopia, Creative Destruction, Physical Geography

53 views2 pages

Document Summary

The rise of the modern capitalist city: a distinctive structure: the early modern city: paris in the 18th century. We see the emergence of the modern capitalist city, cities were connected, rapid industrial expansion b. i. 1. Motivation to have better transportation systems to connect different parts of the country b. i. 1. a. 1850 to 1890 large effort made to improve transportation systems to allow manufactured goods to get to different points of the country. More economic opportunities concentrated in these areas, better transportation so drop in price of transportation b. i. 2. b. People across country, across continents can go to these cities to obtain the economic opportunities offered to them b. i. 2. c. Spurs incredible revolutionary growth in these urban areas b. i. 2. d. From 1850 to 1870 paris doubles in population, same amount of space b. i. 2. e. Walking city or 5-mile city, you could not live more than 5 miles away from your place of work, this encouraged dense cities, density b. i. 2. f. b. i. 2. g.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers