PP&D 4 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Gentrification

26 views1 pages

Document Summary

Gives rise to regional inequality within countries a. iii. 1. Certain regions that become much richer much faster, as a result of being connected, they get richer a. iii. 2. Connectivity to global economies equals wealth and prosperity a. iii. 3. Countries not able to tap into global economies are left behind, they a. iv. The fading charm of cities: towards global landscapes of urban sameness a. iv. 1. a. iv. 2. Similar culture, similar forms: earnings and job growth in the middle, occupational structure before globalization c. i. Middle class war robust, less in top and bottom: occupational structure after globalization hour glass economy d. i. Top growth in earnings and jobs d. ii. Middle decline in earnings and jobs d. iii. Bottom growth in jobs, decline in earnings d. iv. Growth at the top caused growth at the bottom and weakening in the middle: subcontracting labor e. i. Competition between firms to get contracts with large companies: growing temporary labor. Spatial polarization: spaces of wealth, business districts and office parks, gentrification c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers