PP&D 4 Lecture 16: Lecture 16

60 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 15 locating the middle class: the story of gentrification. Basic trends: what was supposed to happen dead city/triumphant suburb, what actually happened cities grew b. i. Social transformation: low income working class to middle high income class transformation of class structure within particular neighborhoods b. i. 2. Physical transformation: massive infusion of money in the physical rehabilitation of housing stock and commerce b. i. 3. 1990s were an important time for city based growth, but suburbs are growing at a faster rate b. iii. Nevertheless, strong positive growth for most cities b. iv. For many cities, the 1990s was the strongest period of growth in 50 years. In the 2000s, gentrification was prevalent but at different speeds b. v. Gentrification the debate: people getting displaced by wealthier people coming into the cities, academics b. i. Turning over traditional view: the wealthy seldom reverse their steps and move backwards into the obsolete housing which they are giving up (hoyt 1939: 114): policy makers, the debate: demand-side versus supply-side d. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers