PP&D 4 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Living Wage, Neoliberalism, Xenophobia

72 views2 pages

Document Summary

Lecture 19 the city and social movements: rights through the city (not just to) I: the model of the unjust city, 1990s a. i. Xenophobia was at its height: the model for producing the just city, 2000s b. i. Better minimum wage, housing, transit equity, race b. ii. Connecting to other activists in the city: city as a generative space for social justice networking? a. i. Diversity of specialized insurgent clusters: a. i. 1. a. i. 2. a. i. 3. a. i. 4. Weak ties between activist clusters: contact points and acquaintance a. iii. Thickening ties: reciprocal obligations and collective know-how a. iv. A broker puts two people who have not been in contact with each other into contact with each other. Politics in la: from government containment to empowerment: government containment: 1970s to 1980s a. i. Urban radicalism in late 1960s and early 1970s a. ii. Federal money (carrots and sticks) used to control local radical. Figueroa corridor c. iv. bottom up power: justice insurgents control politicians not politicians controlling insurgents d.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers