SOCECOL E8 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Sustainability, Red Meat, Water Pollution
Course CodeSOCECOL E8
This preview shows half of the first page. to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Social Ecology Department
Social Ecology E8
Environmental Analysis and Design
Course Code: 50000
Discussion Code: 50001
Location: SSLH 100
2019 Spring Quarter
● What are the trends in meat consumption in the U.S. and globally?
■ Meat consumption in U.S. has increased
● Consumption of red meat has decreased though
■ Meat consumption is on the rise
● Remains considerably lower than in the U.S.
○ What are some of the characteristics of a sustainable food system?
■ Physically and economically accessible to all
■ Provides safe food
■ Produces no waste
■ Operate in fair markets
■ Provides nutrition
■ Less packaging
■ Free of harmful chemicals
■ Is resource-efficient
○ What are some of the sources of freshwater?
■ Surface water
■ Renewable groundwater
■ Fossil or non-renewable groundwater
○ What is global trend in water consumption
■ Water use has been growing at more than twice the rate of population
increase in the last century
○ Which sector uses most of the water?
○ What do water stress, water scarcity, and absolute scarcity mean? How is it
■ Water stress
● Annual water supplies below 1,700 m3 per person
■ Water scarcity
● Annual water supplies below 1,000 m3 per person
■ Absolute scarcity
● Annual water supplies below 500 m3 per person
○ What is the difference between physical and economic scarcity?
You're Reading a Preview
Unlock to view full version