BSC 1005 Lecture Notes - Lecture 20: Asexual Reproduction, Germ Cell, Sexual Reproduction

14 views5 pages
12 Oct 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Germ cells, homologues, alleles, chaisma, chromatids, synapsis, crossing over, sex cells, Do not have a direct role in reproduction. These are the gametes or sex cells that play a direct role in reproduction. The two chromosomes that make up a matched pair in a diploid cell of an organism. One chromosome of this pair is inherited from the father. Homologous chromosomes are of the same length, centromere position, and possess the same genes or alternative form of a gene. Sexual life cycle involves the alternation of haploid and diploid stages. Dna is not replicated between meiosis i and meiosis ii. Chromosome number is reduced to half at the end of meiosis i. Prophase i : nuclear membrane and nucleolus disappear; chromosomes condense. Each duplicated chromosome lines up with its partner and makes a homologous pair. Chiasmata and crossing over may occur between the non-sister chromatids of a homologue.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers