BSC 1005 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Allosome, Galactosemia, Y Chromosome

60 views5 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Autosomes and sex chromosomes: autoso(cid:373)es: the chro(cid:373)oso(cid:373)es i(cid:374) a(cid:374) i(cid:374)di(cid:448)idual"s cells that do not pla(cid:455) a role i(cid:374) se(cid:454) determination, sex chromosomes: that play a role in sex determination, ex. 44 autosomes and 2 sex chromosomes in a human cell. In a human gamete they have 22 autosomes and one 1 sex chromosome (either. Human genetic disorders: genetic abnormality, uncommon versions of a trait, not life-threatening, ex. Extra toes, folded ear lobes: genetic disorder: Inherited condition that will cause mild to severe medical problems: genetic disorder / genetic disease. Inherited disorders: symptoms may be from mild to lethal. Lethal: galactosemia, accumulation of galactose in tissues (sugars, brain, eye damage. Treatable: albinism, lack of pigments in skin, hair and eyes, easily sun burned. Genetic disorders are also due to: changes in the number of autosomes, one more or one less chromosome (aneuploidy) than the parent in a new individual, ex. 2n+1 or 2n-1: major cause of human reproductive failure, ex.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers