COM 1000 Lecture Notes - Lecture 8: Active Listening, Critical Thinking, Whistle Rymes

12 views3 pages
22 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Lecture notes 09/21/16: listening is mental, hearing is physical, why we don"t listen, message overload a. i. Listening to music while listening to a conversation: preoccupation b. i. Thinking about something else: faulty assumptions c. i. When you think you know what the person is saying or going to say so you choose not to fully pay attention: hearing problems, external noise e. i. f. Not listening because there is no reason to. Better listeners have been correlated to better speakers b. iv. 1. Money: critical thinking, critical thinking is using your mind, critical thinking is asking the right question b. i. Logic: recognizing common logical fallacies how to avoid looking like an idiot to a critical thinker: someone who analyzes, unsupported assertion a. i. I"m not buying it : begging the question b. i. Freedom of speech is for the common good because unrestrained expression of opinions is ultimately in the best interest of all concerned b. i. 1. the premise is the same as the conclusion: hasty generalization c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers