HUM 2020 Lecture Notes - Lecture 10: Scientific Revolution, Gian Lorenzo Bernini, Empiricism

47 views3 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Scientific revolution and social values in the baroque age (ch 10) Francis bacon (1561-1626) new method // science separate from religion: New way = critical , individual cases to generalizations: descartes (1596-1650) I think therefore i am = i can be certain of one thing in the universe: i exist! Baroque characteristics: grandiose splendor: to emphasize authority and power. Emotionalism: feeling vs intellectual art: chiaroscuro (light and shade): for mood and dramatic effect, movement: captures intense energy. Catholic baroque: italy, spain, and france: st. teresa"s visions (p261), emotional, mysti faith. Visions as proof of god: bernini, the ecstasy of st teresa (p268): sculpture as proof of vision to. Homeopathic art = causing similar vision to worshippers: bernini, david p260. C/c michelangelo"s (simple faith, loyalty to god = catholic). Bernini, piazza of st peter"s basilica (p262): grandiose, nostalgic. Content: sculptures of saints = guardians of the church; guardians of entrance against evil into sacred space: music.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers