PSY 2012 Lecture Notes - Lecture 4: Cerebral Cortex, Reticular Formation, Limbic System

28 views2 pages
22 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Key parts of the forebrain are the thalamus, hypothalamus, and the. The thalamus is located near the center of the brain and could be said to lie between the forebrain and the midbrain. a. i. 1. a. The thalamus serves as a relay station for sensory stimulation. a. i. 1. b. Ex: the thalamus relays sensory input from the eyes to the visual areas of the cerebral cortex. a. i. 1. c. The thalamus also regulates sleep and attention in coordination with other brain structures, including the reticular formation. The hypothalamus lies beneath the thalamus and above a. i. 2. the pituitary gland. a. i. 2. a. It is vital in the regulation of body temperature, concentration of fluids, storage of nutrients, and motivation and emotion. a. i. 2. b. It is involved in hunger, thirst, sexual behavior, a. i. 3. caring for offspring, and aggression. The limbic system forms a fringe along the inner edge of the cerebrum and is fully evolved only in mammals. a. i. 3. a.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers