PSY 2012 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Non-Rapid Eye Movement Sleep, Sleep Paralysis, Sigmund Freud

40 views2 pages
22 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

One is activation of the reticular formation, which arouses us, but not to: sleep disorders waking. a. Adults tend to face insomnia because of pain and aches that make it hard to get comfortable and sleep throughout the night: narcolepsy happens when a person falls asleep suddenly. b. i. The sleep attack may last 15 minutes or so, after which the person may b. ii. feel refreshed. In sleep paralysis the person cannot move during the transition from consciousness to sleep, and hallucinations occur: sleep apnea is a dangerous sleep disorder in which the air passages are obstructed c. i. People with sleep apnea stop breathing periodically c. ii. Associated with obesity and chronic snoring, and can lead to high blood pressure, heart attacks, and strokes: deep-sleep disorders: sleep terrors, bedwetting, and sleepwalking d. i. All 3 of these disorders occur during either stage 3 or 4 of sleep. d. ii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers