ART HIS 21 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Saint Sabina, Abrahamic Religions, Sophia (Wisdom)

68 views4 pages
28 Aug 2016
School
Department
Professor

Document Summary

Porphyry - purple stone, durable, favored for imperial commissions. Theodosian dynasty: geographical division of the medieval ages. Family line: theodosius i, valentinian - nephew, arcadius - son, eastern, Honorius - son, western emperor, galla placid - daughter, theodosios ii, alicia. Juliana - great granddaughter: 330 may 11, festival of saint mocius. Theodosios i - last emperor to rule over both halves of the roman emperor, places bans on other religions, and closes temples. The commission of the obelisk of theodosios i, was the most important commission, visual sign of power. Egypt was a great location not only for food but for spolia. Horse and chaoriot races - had cheerleader. In art there is a propagandist point of view. What is the involvement of women in commissioning works of art in the middle. Galla placid - commission many pieces of arts (church of santa croce, ravenna) Mausoleum of galla amazing: she modeled herself after constantine"s mother, helena.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers