2 Pages

Department
English
Course Code
ENGL 141
Professor
Eric Jager
Lecture

This preview shows half of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Unit 4 Key Concepts
Money and currency - an item used for payment of good or services,
accounting, repayment of debts, and stored value.
Bureaucracy - the administrative system governing any large institution or
group, whether it is in the public sector (as in governmental) or private sector
(as in business).
Triple bottom line - While “the bottom line” typically refers to the financial
profit of a company, the “triple bottom line” concept supports companies in
looking at social and ecological indicators of success as well as financial.
Sometimes this is summarized as “people, planet, and profit.”
David Graeber
Anarchist and anti-globalization activists
Was a professor at Yale until the school did not want to renew his contract
Students started to protest
Actual reason of why his contract was not renewed is unknown
Theory is that he defended a grad student that was an union organizer
that the school wanted to kick out from the grad program
Yale has a lot of union issues
He wanted to separate his life as an academic and activist, but it eventually interfered
Interested in communities with lack of government structure and human possibilities
Anthropology tries to understand what has been possible politically, economically, and
socially
Affinity between anthropology and anarchist because anthropologists know that societies
without a state is possible
Lived in Madagascar for a while to study politics of human civilization and made the
connections to anarchy being successful in society
Anarchy believes in direct action wheres protest is appealing to powers to be nicer
Anarchy is acting as if you are already free
Ex: city has no drinking water → build a well and dare gov’t to stop you
Democracy without government
Commitment to an idea that a society is based off principles of self-organization,
voluntary association of mutual aid
Not belief that we could have it
Direct action exposes the structures of power and also what it embodies in alternatives
Potential model of democracy
Don’t believe in nation states
Globalization is a great idea, but its execution and what passes as globalization is not
Increase in border control
Free trade? Not really
1870s - 1890s = world peace and time of anarchy
Anarchy became the center of imaginative revolutionary left
Anarchism disappears and was replaced by Marxism
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Unit 4 Key Concepts Money and currency - an item used for payment of good or services, accounting, repayment of debts, and stored value. Bureaucracy - the administrative system governing any large institution or group, whether it is in the public sector (as in governmental) or private sector (as in business). Triple bottom line - While the bottom line typically refers to the financial profit of a company, the triple bottom line concept supports companies in looking at social and ecological indicators of success as well as financial. Sometimes this is summarized as people, planet, and profit. David Graeber Anarchist and anti-globalization activists Was a professor at Yale until the school did not want to renew his contract Students started to protest Actual reason of why his contract was not renewed is unknown Theory is that he defended a grad student that was an union organizer that the school wanted to kick out from the grad program Yale has a lot of union issues He wanted to separate his life as an academic and activist, but it eventually interfered Interested in communities with lack of government structure and human possibilities Anthropology tries to understand what has been possible politically, economically, and socially Affinity between anthropology and anarchist because anthropologists know that societies without a state is possible Lived in Madagascar for a while to study politics of human civilization and made the connections to anarchy being successful in society Anarchy believes in direct action wheres protest is appealing to powers to be nicer Anarchy is acting as if you are already free Ex: city has no drinking water build a well and dare govt to stop you Democracy without government Commitment to an idea that a society is based off principles of self-organization, voluntary association of mutual aid Not belief that we could have it Direct action exposes the structures of power and also what it embodies in alternatives Potential model of democracy Dont believe in nation states Globalization is a great idea, but its execution and what passes as globalization is not Increase in border control Free trade? Not really 1870s - 1890s = world peace and time of anarchy Anarchy became the center of imaginative revolutionary left Anarchism disappears and was replaced by Marxism 20th century = most violent in human history Anarchism was not appealing during the 20th century because an anarchist cannot build a killing machine Marxist regimes are more about that History is madly accelerated despite what Francis Fukuyama has said Against hierarchy and asserting authority Crisis of Capitalism - David Harvey Human Frailty Predatory instincts Instincts for mastery Delusions of investors
More Less
Unlock Document

Only half of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit