GEOG 152 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Eurocentrism, Manueline, Global City

110 views5 pages
28 Sep 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Understanding europe through its cities: cities and signs of history, layout, design, spacing, functions as signs of the times a. i. Use physical fabric of city to understand some historical process of the evolution of a city: cities as seats of economic and cultural change, merchant capitalism, political absolutism movements for political change, industry. Cities that became associated w/authoritative regimes (moscow, vienna) City deindustrialization: ghosts and dreams; ex: the ghosts of berlin, venice, italy, 700, 000 tourists at a time, advertises how the city used to be great, trapped in a time warp c. i. Tourists like this and now; tourism is catered to this curiosity. Isis destroyed many iconic monuments in syria and in the process destroys syrian culture. Royce hall at ucla is a product of romanesque architecture. They are just cities: western civilization, christendom (problematic because it"s technically not considered european ) a. i. a. ii. Offshoot of judaism; spread by st. paul (jewish/rabbi)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers