PSYCH 10 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Margaret Floy Washburn, American Psychological Association, Mary Whiton Calkins

66 views7 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Module 1: what is psychology: psychologic science is born, first laboratory a. i. 1879 germany, wilhelm wundt seeks to measure the atoms of the mind a. k. a. the fastest and simplest mental processes a. ii. Machine measured the time lag between people"s hearing a ball hit a platform and their pressing a button a. iii. There was a difference between pressing the button once the sound had occurred and when they had been consciously aware of perceiving the sound a. iv. It was found that to be aware of one"s awareness takes slightly longer: structuralism and functionalism b. i. Def: used introspection to reveal the structure of the human mind b. i. 2. b. i. 3. Early school of thought promoted by wundt and titchener. Introspection (looking inward) was deemed unreliable b. i. 3. a. self-reports varied from person to person and experience to experience. b. ii. Def: explored how mental and behavioral processes function- how they enable the organism to adapt, survive, and flourish b. ii. 2.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers