Child and Family Development
Course
CFD 3240
Professor
Chancler
Semester
Spring

Description
Ways to Increase Children’s Imitation of Parental Modeling • To be more effective as models for their children, parents can increase their children’s imitation of desired behaviors when they: o Make an effort to gain the child’s attention o Use language to describe desired behavior o Demonstrate desired behavior o Allow practice of desired behavior o Reinforce desired behavior o Have patience as the child is learning new behaviors The Technique of Induction • Explains to children the consequences of their actions • Consequences to self (positive & negative) o Positive: When you brush your teeth, your teeth are nice and clean and it helps you not to get cavities o Negative: If you run on the sidewalk, you might fall down and hurt yourself • Consequences to others (positive & negative) o Positive: When you share with Sally, Sally might share with you o Negative: When you knock down Sally’s block’s, she feels sad because she worked hard to build them up The Use of Induction as Prevention or Motivation • For prevention of problems: o “Be sure to call me to let me know if you are going to be late.” o “When you are not here when I expect you, I am concerned about whether you are okay.” ▪ “Do you need a ride home?”; “Were you in an accident?” • For motivation of prosocial behavior: o “Why don’t you pick some flowers from the garden to take to Grandma?” o “It pleases her so much to know you thought of her and she loves fresh flowers.” Natural & Logical Consequences • Consequences are logically related to what the child has done • Helps children to
More Less

Related notes for CFD 3240

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit