EARTH 4 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Desalination, Osmosis, Pycnocline

16 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Format of test: 8 pages, combination of true/false, fill in blank, short response, calculations, multiple choice. Do(cid:374)"t (cid:449)orry too (cid:373)u(cid:272)h a(cid:271)out i(cid:374) the (cid:374)e(cid:449)s. Handful of formulas on cover page, and conversions on cover page. Continental v oceanic, continent always wins and ocean subducts. Oceanic and oceanic = one subducts to other, if one pops back up causes tsunamis. Density (determined by age) of oceanic plate determines which will subduct. -tropical cyclone fantala- in the news, massive storms use heat energy from water. Ha(cid:448)i(cid:374)g salt i(cid:374) (cid:449)ater (cid:272)ha(cid:374)ges its properties, they"re less free to move around as the orient around negative charge of salt h20+salt (membrane) pure water. Pure water goes to side that has more salt, creates pressure in doing so. Reverse osmosis: using pressure to push water though the membrane opposite the way it wanted to go (used during drought, desalinization plant) Chloride, sodium, then sulfate, magnesium (mostly water though- in seawater)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers