ENV S 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Computer Simulation, Great Basin National Park, The Boy Who Cried Wolf

45 views4 pages
30 Sep 2016
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

=> epistemology: case study: prometheus: the sad but true story of a living archive. 9/29/16: donald curey cut down bristlecone pine in great basin national park, nevada a. i) a. ii) Tries to extract samples from the prometheus tree and broke his sampling tools (a. ii. 1) Calls friends at u. s. forest service and gets go ahead to cut it into small parts (a. ii. 1. a) sent to other parts of country to study it (a. ii. 1. a. i) Amazingly old- oldest organism in history and he killed it a. ii. 1. a. i. 1. Controversy and sad: bristlecone pines live in the hardest conditions b. i) Poor soil, windy: trying to determine good growing and bad growing seasons through samples, prometheus is combo of immortal and mortal and steals fire from mount olympus to bring it back to mortals d. i) d. ii) Symbolizes sacrifice of human knowledge; killed for it: the good e. i) e. ii) e. iii) National park established to protect other bristlecone pines. Other older trees have been identified (kept secret)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers