GLOBL 1 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Social Science, Bacon, Scientific Revolution

43 views5 pages
20 Aug 2016
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Global 6. 30. 2015- the scientific revolution & the enlightenment: transition from medieval to modern era, rise of scientific knowledge, enlightenment-what does it refer to, what is scientific revolution, scientific revolution (mid 16th century onward) involved changes in: a. i. Empirical methods for acquiring knowledge- use of controlled experiments a. iv. Disease and death came early and often h. ii. You were born into your place in the order h. iii. Johannes gutenberg invents first moveable type in mid-15th century a. i. Prints gutenberg bible in 1452: affordable across classes, enables new ideas to spread quickly in similar fashion c. i. Leonoardo di vinci 1452-1519: scientific revolution origins. Begins with rediscovery of aristotle in 12th-13th century a: 1608 first spyglass comes out of middelburg, netherlands b. i. Office of the voc dutch east india trading company b. ii. Purchased by galileo galilei and he creates his own version aimed at astronomy b. iii. Ptolemy"s geocentric theory of the universe: chinese- math and medicine, develop acupuncture, map major stars e.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers