RG ST 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Rigveda, Social Order, Vaishya

40 views2 pages
28 Apr 2017
School
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Depictions on certain clay tablets from indus valley are quite controversial. The tablets feature powerful male animals or other zoomorphic figures. Zoomorphic - human that has a form of an animal (partially animal) Most i(cid:374)teresti(cid:374)g is a figure seated i(cid:374) a (cid:862)yogi(cid:272)(cid:863) posture. (cid:862)yoga(cid:863) (cid:373)ight ha(cid:448)e predated the i(cid:374)do europea(cid:374) (cid:373)igratio(cid:374) He is seated on a dais with erect phallus, buffalo horns and face, surrounded by wild animals. Uncertainty of the presence of the phallus, but it could represent creative impulse. Some of these associations (yoga, lordship of animals, ithyphallicism) suggest identification with later hindu god shiva. Shiva becomes one of the most important god in the hindu tradition. Starts off in the indo european / aryan traditions as a minor god. The need for shiva rose, so his importance rose too. There was a striking contrast between agrarian society of indus valley and pastoral, nomadic, and warlike society of aryans.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers