CSE 14 Lecture Notes - Lecture 17: Reference Type, Primitive Data Type

36 views6 pages
1 Jun 2018
School
Course
Professor
CMPS12A Lecture 17: Understanding Memory and Wrapper Classes
In coding, the value that we put in a variable will be stored in memory where the variable itself
points to the value. We know that we can override an inherited method so it can be a new
value.
Example:
“tig  = hello;
 = goode;
The aiale  of “tig tpe as fist iitiated to hello ut the got oeidde  goode.
In this way, we cannot narrow access it; so this is called override. There is also overload where
you create a new function with the same name but must use a different function heading; this
can have any access level.
Example:
“tig  = e “tighello;
“tig  = e “tighello;
If we were to use the .equals() method and compare these two variables, so:
boolean z = x.equals(y);
System.out.println(z);
//We would get true sie oth  ad  hae the “tig hello alue ad .euals ol
compares the value itself. There is another way that you may have thought of already to also
compare these variables and that is the == method. So:
boolean a = x == y;
System.out.println(a);
//Ee if oth aiales otai the sae “tig hello, this ould etu false. Wh is that?
Let’s t to udestad agai hat happes he eo is alloated ito aiales. Daing it
out would be of more useful but first lets make a code.
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in
Example:
class ComparingTest {
public static void main(String [] args) {
“tig  = e “tighello;
“tig  = e “tighello;
boolean z1 = x.equals(y);
boolean z2 = x == y;
“tig a = e “tiggoode;
String b = a;
boolean c1 = a.equals(b);
boolean c2 = a == b;
“ste.out.pitl is:  + ;
“ste.out.pitl is:  + ;
“ste.out.pitl.euals is:  + z;
“ste.out.pitl ==  is:  + z;
“ste.out.pitla is:  + a;
“ste.out.pitl is:  + ;
“ste.out.pitla.euals is:  + ;
“ste.out.pitla ==  is:  + ;
}
}
Lets look at this example very carefully and see what is going on. We have variables x and y of
“tig tpe that ae akig a e “tig ith alues of hello and we have two variables z1
and z2 of Boolean type that will return true or false depending on we have them point towards
Unlock document

This preview shows pages 1-2 of the document.
Unlock all 6 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Cmps12a lecture 17: understanding memory and wrapper classes. In coding, the value that we put in a variable will be stored in memory where the variable itself points to the value. We know that we can override an inherited method so it can be a new value. The (cid:448)a(cid:396)ia(cid:271)le (cid:454) of t(cid:396)i(cid:374)g t(cid:455)pe (cid:449)as fi(cid:396)st i(cid:374)itiated to (cid:862)hello(cid:863) (cid:271)ut the(cid:374) got o(cid:448)e(cid:396)(cid:396)idde(cid:374) (cid:271)(cid:455) (cid:862)good(cid:271)(cid:455)e(cid:863). In this way, we cannot narrow access it; so this is called override. There is also overload where you create a new function with the same name but must use a different function heading; this can have any access level. If we were to use the . equals() method and compare these two variables, so: boolean z = x. equals(y); //we would get true si(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:271)oth (cid:454) a(cid:374)d (cid:455) ha(cid:448)e the t(cid:396)i(cid:374)g (cid:862)hello(cid:863) (cid:448)alue a(cid:374)d . e(cid:395)uals(cid:894)(cid:895) o(cid:374)l(cid:455) compares the value itself.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers