MMW 15 Lecture Notes - Lecture 5: Herd Mentality, Libido, Sexual Repression

53 views1 pages

Document Summary

Proponent of the frankfurt school and its post-marxist critique of capitalism (a. ii. 1) Focus on cultural apparatus behind social conformity a. iii) rejection of the freudian emphasis on the frustrated libido of individuals: modern alienation from industrial capitalism b. i) as workers, alienated from the commodity one produces (b. i. 1) (b. i. 2) Workers alienated also from their own labor as a commodity b. ii) Investors also alienated from the enterprises they invest in: modern conformity from consumption a. i) palliatives to overcome feeling of insignificance in the workplace (a. i. 1) (a. i. 2) Instant gratification from having fun vs. feeling any inner happiness b. iii) routines of consumption illusion of material empowerment (b. iii. 1) (b. iii. 2) (b. iii. 3) Increasing our sense of existential significance through consumption. Well fed, well clad, satisfied sexually, yet without self b. iv) underlying irony in the paradox of consumption (b. iv. 1) Asserting our individuality through our choices as consumers, all the while craving the security of the herd (a. i. 3)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers