MMW 11 Lecture Notes - Lecture 11: Wu Wei, Taoism

54 views2 pages

Document Summary

Outline lecture eleven the daoist challenge: laozi and zhuangzi: relationship between confucianism and daoism (taoism, complementary or oppositional? a. i) perfectibility through learning vs. return to the uncarved block a. ii) One roams within the bounds of society, one roams beyond . Ii) the reference of the term daoism a) Important distinction between philosophical and religious daoism a. i) religious daoism a. ii) Philosophical daoism yangzhu, laozi (lao-tzu), zhuangzi (chuang-tzu) (a. ii. 1) (a. ii. 2) (a. ii. 3) Yangzhu: fend for oneself, preserve one"s life, and avoid all injury. Laozi: gave self-preservation cosmological as opposed to personal basis. Zhuangzi: transcend dualities and embrace the transformation of all things. Laozi"s daodejing (tao te ching or classic of the way: problematic authorship a. i) 4th century compilation? a. ii) originally intended for rulers of small states, the principle of reversal b. i) paradox that all things incline towards their opposite b. ii) Reversal is the movement of the way (4) (b. ii. 1) Purpose of reversal in nature is to achieve balance and moderation (b. ii. 1. a)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers