PSYC 3 Lecture Notes - Lecture 2: Edgar Adrian, Golgi'S Method, Reference Electrode

27 views4 pages
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

Chapter 2 cognitive neuroscience: cognitive neuroscience, the study of the physiological basis of cognition b. The interconnections of neurons create a nerve net, which is like a continuous network that is similar to a highway d. i. 1. d. i. 2. One street connects to another but without stop signs. This allows for almost nonstop, continuous communication of signals throughout the network d. i. 3. The staining technique did not allow for further details d. ii. Ramon y cajal (using golgi stain and newborn brain) d. ii. 2. Cell body: contains mechanisms to keep cell alive b. ii. Dendrites: multiple branches reaching from the cell body, which receives info from other neurons b. iii. Axon: tube filled with fluid that transmits electrical signal to other neurons b. iv. In the 1920s, edgar adrian was able to record electrical signals from single sensory neurons, an achievement for which he was awarded the nobel prize in 1932: recording from single neurons f. i. A recording electrode, placed inside or near the neuron f. iii.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers