PSYC 6 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Process Gain, Attachment In Adults, Social Exchange Theory

40 views11 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Conformity (cid:272)ha(cid:374)gi(cid:374)g o(cid:374)e"s (cid:271)eha(cid:448)ior due to the real or i(cid:373)agi(cid:374)ed i(cid:374)flue(cid:374)(cid:272)e of others. In studies of normative social influence, participants judged which of the three comparison lines was closest in length to the standard line. However, members of the group (actually confederates) gave the wrong answer out loud. Follow up interviews to participants shows that reasons are different: some says their eyes looked wrong, others say social affiliation Why do we conform: to be accurate (informational influence) or to be liked (normative influence) Or a combination of both: ostracism -> evokes brain activity in same region as physical pain! Variation in conformity: public versus private conformity: difficult task -> increased conformity, higher stakes -> increased conformity. How do our perceptions of normative behavior influence our own behavior? pluralistic ignorance belief that most others subscribe to a norm, leading to public conformity. We"re (cid:373)ore likely to (cid:272)o(cid:374)for(cid:373) to so(cid:272)ial (cid:374)or(cid:373)s (cid:449)he(cid:374) (cid:271)rought to our i(cid:373)(cid:373)ediate atte(cid:374)tio(cid:374)

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers