PSYC 6 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Hazel Rose Markus, Availability Heuristic, Claudia Cohen

41 views8 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

No conscious deliberation of thoughts, perceptions, assumptions: controlled thinking b. i. Effortful and deliberate thoughts about self and environment b. ii. Carefully selecting the right course of action: on auto pilot: low-effort thinking, we form impressions of people quickly & effortlessly based on our past experiences a. i. 1st impressions tend to have a confirmatory bias: we use automatic processes called schemas in many situations, people as everyday theorists: automatic thinking with schemas, schemas (mental net) a. i. Schemas are the mental structures people use to organize their knowledge about the social world around themes or subjects a. i. 1. Influence what we notice, attend to, think about, and remember a. i. 2. Schemas encompass our knowledge and impression of other people, ourselves, social roles, and specific events. Some schemas are more elaborate than others a. iii. When you walk into the classroom, you"re able to quickly categorize people because of our prior knowledge about what people of different groups look like, dress like, act like, etc. a. iv.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers