PSYC 6 Lecture Notes - Lecture 7: Elaboration Likelihood Model, Implicit-Association Test, Out-Of-Body Experience

19 views5 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Attitudes & attitude changes: the nature and origin of attitudes, attitudes are made up of three components: a. i. E. g. , a result of something being paired with something you like/dislike: behaviorally-based attitude, self-perception theory (bem, 1972) a. i. When initial attitude is weak or ambiguous c. ii. When there is no other plausible explanation for behavior c. iii. Example: study on self-perception that dealt w/ environmental attitudes c. iii. 1. The way the question is worded affected their perception of their own behavior c. iii. 3. Only those w/ weak prior attitudes affected by the framing of the question in the first questionnaire: explicit vs. Implicit attitudes: explicit attitudes: attitudes we consciously endorse and can easily report a. i. Example: sam is a white, middle class college student who genuinely believes that all races are equal, abhors racial bias a. i. 1. It is his conscious evaluation of other races a. i. 2. Implicit attitudes: attitudes that are involuntary, uncontrollable, and at times unconscious b. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers