PSYC 6 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Groupthink, Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act, Field Experiment

15 views2 pages
School
Department
Course
Professor

Document Summary

Obedience: obedience to authority, compliance with the directives or orders of an authority, we are socialized to obey legitimate authority figures (even if not present) b. i. Key for social hierarchies, corporations, universities, militaries, division of labor, and governments to function: conforming to these hierarchical systems can have negative consequences c. i. Insulation from external forces or conflicting info b. iii. Illusion of invulnerability: normative conformity members afraid to criticize or speak out, obedience explicit hierarchy with an authoritarian leader, can lead to disastrous decisions e. i. Iraq war, obamacare rollout: groupthink is the asch scenario, except no one is a confederate, obedience & conformity, not the same. You"re influenced by both but the reasons are different: conformity b. i. Your peers have no special right to direct your behavior b. ii. However, you may imitate others so you don"t fall in the implied hierarchy: obedience c. i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers