Mathematics (102)
MGF 1106 (4)

Lecture 1

2 Pages
Unlock Document

University of Florida
MGF 1106
Jordan Draper

Sets  Set = container/box  Elements- what are in the set o ex. Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday } set of the days of the week  Roster form- delineates a set o use { } o not a set ( ) o not a set [ ]  Natural numbers- counting numbers o N = {1,2,3,4,…}  Set builder notation o ex. A = {x | x ≥ 0}  reads as “A equals the set of x such that x is greater than or equal to 0” o ex. A = {x | x ≥ 0, x ∈N}  reads as “A equals the set of x such that x is greater than or equal to 0 and x is an element of the natural numbers”  V= {a,e,i,o,u} C= {{a},{e,i,o,},{u}} o Is a∈V? yes o Is {a}∈C? yes o Is {a}∈V? no o Is i∈C? no  Finite set- can count all items in the set o ex. {1,2,3,4}  Infinite set- doesn’t end o ex. the natural numbers  Inclusive- contains 2 endpoints o ex. between 4 and 6 inclusive- answer could be 4,5, or 6  A=B iff (if and only if) everything in A is in B and everything in B is in A o ex. A= {t,r,a,c} B= {c,a,t,r}  Is A=B? yes o ex. A= {{t},r,a,c} B= {c,a,t,r}  Is A=B? no  Cardinal number- size of set
More Less

Related notes for MGF 1106

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.