MDU 4003 Lecture 4: Lesson 4a: Surgery notes

4 Pages

Department
Health Outcomes & Policy
Course Code
MDU 4003
Professor
Rhamani, Mariam

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 4 pages of the document.

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Surgery A surgeon is a physician who has gone through years of training in an accredited residency program to learn the specialized skills of a surgery. Surgery, in some instances, can be viewed as one of the most demanding positions in the medical community due to the fact that it is a specialty which is required in every hospital setting. Besides performing surgery, surgeons practice in hospital, office, and academic settings. Surgeons also assist patients by counseling and consultation. General surgery will be the primary focus of this unit, although the specializations within the surgery field are numerous and very diverse. Surgery with Dr. Lam Assistant professor of surgery at UF Why did you choose to be a surgeon? she considered all areas during her third year of medicial school and clinic corpship with the exception of PEDIATRICS and psychiatry She went into medical school thinking she would go into pediatrics or geriatrics She’s a hands on person, 3-D, fascinated with anatomy, and the job in terms of the human body function related to structure. she’s the result oriented person, sees effects of what you’ve done and see results of intervention after diagnosis, for a while, she considered missionary medicine (general surgery suited to that because she had a broad scope of practice as wide as internal medicine ) gained additional therapeutic option of surgical intervention which she would not have had she chosen only internal medicine. Training: 4 yrs of college, 4 yrs of medical school, residency program that avgs 5-7 yrs, General surgery: 5 yrs of residency training, additional of 2-3 years fellowship training for cardiothoracic surgery, plastic surgery, vascular surgery OR 1-2 years of research in NIA if interested in academic career Competitve field: always; good grades in medical school, top quartile of the medical school class, concerns (surgery as a career): related to infringement upon lifestyle because the sum of the preconceptions of surgeons - in terms of lifestyle the idea of the practice of medicine is such that when you take on the social responsibilities you sign a social contract with the patients. When patients are ill, or are not feeling well or have a potentially life threatening illness, they are at their most vulnerable and they come to you looking for guidance. Responsibility as a human, not just a physician, will mandate working on a 40 hour workweight. It doesn’t matter what your specialty in medicine is if you directly responsible for direct patient interaciton and care, you will probably spend 60 hour work. Passion will drive you. medicine requires passion and time. Work becomes a reward. Different types of Surgery practicies: work solo, HMO, GROUP practice, academic practice different subcategories in surgery (like internal medicine) colorectal surgery surgical oncology surgical endocrinology-- much more elective, less emergency type lifestyles therefore, time you have to yourself varies depending on what practice you choose to have: Trauma: if you like adrenaline rush and being called in to the hospital for emergencies and very ill patients, Colorectal Surgery: if you are interested in a much more elective lifestyle,not too many disasters She is married to another sur
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit