MMC 3703 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: New York (Magazine), Hunter S. Thompson, Frank Deford

21 views4 pages

Document Summary

Important era: 1960s: golden age of sports writing. Roy peter clark- local sports columnists emerged as one of the most popular and important figures in the land. Dubbed the 1924 notre dame backfield the four horsemen . Papers in milwaukee, st louis, philly, new york. First sports writer to win the pulitzer for commentary. Called the shakespeare of the press box- turns of phrases, wit, fast humor. New york sun sports colum, sport magazine, life. Death of a racehorse considered one of the best pieces of sports writing (deadline writing 1949) Underwrote but gave readers a feel for the game. Washington tribune, chicago defender, afro-american in baltimore. Focused on racial equality in baseball, columns promoted the integration in baseball (one of the most outspoken voices), covered jackie robinson pre mlb. Covered games from dugout, roof of the pressbox. It would have been a selfish thing for me to be concerned with myself and how i was treated .

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers