ANTH 1102 Lecture Notes - Lecture 1: Scientific Theory, Statistical Hypothesis Testing, Franz Boas

29 views4 pages

Document Summary

Other disciplines: not the only academic field that studies humans. Holistic perspective: all facets of shared human behavior, trying to understand. Anthropology and science: scientific method, hypothesis testing. Anthropology and humanism: cultural process, logic of rationality. Anthropology concepts: culture, about shared human behavior, a society"s socially transmitted ideas, values, and perceptions b. i. Make sense of experience: present and past c. i. Historic and prehistoric: evolution, about human biological change, scientific theory that species arise through a long, gradual process of genetic transformation, present and past c. i. Changing species: environment, about ecological interconnectedness b. Idea that we are shaped by our environments and in turn shape the world in which we live: present and past c. i. Historical reasons in the u. s: north american native peoples, culture and biology, history of racial categories, franz boas. Topical reasons: human variation in time and space, culture and evolution. American anthropological association (aaa) recognizes two dimensions: academic anthropology. Grant and university research: applied anthropology.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers