PHIL 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Heterodoxy, Meletus, Empirical Evidence

38 views2 pages
IMPORTANT QUESTIONS:
1. What is the diffeee etee “oates seeig like he ats to e auitted ad ou ae all
so stupid
a. “oates said i the egiig of the tial that he ould ot lie to the ju. “o he does’t
want to die but he cannot lie.
b. Socrates is a principled man
c. He will not lie to win his acquittal.
2. What is “oates’ outepoposal to the death setee? Wh?
a. Socrates says he should reserve a spot in _____ (this place where Olympians retire/
retirement home) instead of death. He thinks he deserves a reward rather than
punishment.
3. Why does Socrates think he was convicted?
a. He thinks he was convicted because he made enemies.
b. He also interrogated smart people just to find wiser people.
c. He does not play the typical game.
i. During trials, convicted people usually bring family to make the jury show pity.
They try to flatter them,etc. Socrates does none of that.
5. ...the ueaied life is ot oth liig. Eplai this.
-Examined life is calling into question your own life and virtues. By not focusing on what is
important and what makes us human is not living life to the full purpose and potential.
6. Why does Socrates think the fear of death irrational?
-There are two results after death.
-Deep Sleep: You should look forward to it because sleep is relaxation.
-Heaven: You get to continue your lifestyle and talk to past warriors and great people.
You also get to talk to the gods.
7. Is Socrates guilty or innocent?
-Socrates defense against the charge of heterodoxy is sufficient. He admits not to believe in the
gods of Athes, ut he sas that he lies  the ods of soe sot of highe eig o spiit. I
lie i geat poet eause of seie to God. “oates ee said that eig a atheist is
completely false which means he does believe in some kind of higher power spiritual beings.
-“oates’ ouptig the outh is e skeptial. Meletus ad the ju eliee that “oates is the
only person in Athens that does not better the youth, and is in fact corrupting them. Its skeptical
that one person can be blamed for the sole corruption of an entire generation of young adults.
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com
Unlock document

This preview shows half of the first page of the document.
Unlock all 2 pages and 3 million more documents.

Already have an account? Log in

Document Summary

Important questions: what is the diffe(cid:396)e(cid:374)(cid:272)e (cid:271)et(cid:449)ee(cid:374) o(cid:272)(cid:396)ates see(cid:373)i(cid:374)g like he (cid:449)a(cid:374)ts to (cid:271)e a(cid:272)(cid:395)uitted a(cid:374)d (cid:862)(cid:455)ou a(cid:396)e all so stupid(cid:863, o(cid:272)(cid:396)ates said i(cid:374) the (cid:271)egi(cid:374)(cid:374)i(cid:374)g of the t(cid:396)ial that he (cid:449)ould (cid:374)ot lie to the ju(cid:396)(cid:455). Wh(cid:455): socrates says he should reserve a spot in _____ (this place where olympians retire/ retirement home) instead of death. During trials, convicted people usually bring family to make the jury show pity: (cid:862)the u(cid:374)e(cid:454)a(cid:373)i(cid:374)ed life is (cid:374)ot (cid:449)o(cid:396)th li(cid:448)i(cid:374)g. (cid:863) e(cid:454)plai(cid:374) this. Examined life is calling into question your own life and virtues. Deep sleep: you should look forward to it because sleep is relaxation. Heaven: you get to continue your lifestyle and talk to past warriors and great people. Socrates defense against the charge of heterodoxy is sufficient. Meletus a(cid:374)d the ju(cid:396)(cid:455) (cid:271)elie(cid:448)e that o(cid:272)(cid:396)ates is the only person in athens that does not better the youth, and is in fact corrupting them.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers