PHIL 2010 Lecture Notes - Lecture 9: Four Noble Truths, Noble Eightfold Path, Impermanence

26 views2 pages

Document Summary

Four noble truths: there is suffering, life is suffering, constant desires and needs = suffering, attachment and impermanence, there is a cause, suffering can cease, there is a way. Self desire is nowhere to be found. Buddha concerned with eradication of suffering globally. Persons are soul or partly consists of souls. There are no persons (no self) only bodies and sequences of thoughts. Reductionist view: persons are bodies and interrelated mental processes (persons and bundles but are the same) Concept mediated fluid aggregative model of classification . It"s not that there are only activities in the world, but i am activites: that is all i am. Mistake or illusion that i am something more than this. Concealing truth: unstable under analysis and when we get up close the thing loses its. Ultimate truth is stable under analysis; irreducible to elements. I am not permanent - always be someone different.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers