PSYC 1101 Lecture Notes - Lecture 6: Social Proof, Social Influence, Norm (Social)

32 views2 pages

Document Summary

Study of social behavior, how people relate to each other, influenced by each other. Normative- norm (social norms): unset rules, nod when the teacher says does that makes sense. Other people influence you and provide rewards and punishments: consequences of social influence. Causes you to nod if that makes sense. Conformity-something that you do/observe, act like other people. Public vs. private conformity: public behavior- behavior you act that way so that you see me act that way. I"m controlling my behavior because of the impression i"m making on you. Behavior that does not reflect how you feel privately: private behavior- new job wants you there at 7 am, someone asked you that, you think to yourself that is going to be an issue. Private is still observable: private- privately accept that, conformity- watching you act like other people, behavior- Asch"s research on conformity: perceptual judgment- is this brighter or dimmer. Alone and in presence of incorrect others.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers