PSY 262 Lecture Notes - Lecture 3: Group Psychotherapy, Exposure Therapy, Systematic Desensitization

38 views8 pages

Document Summary

Lecture notes: abbreviations to know, dx: disorder/diagnosis, tx: treatment, bx: behavior, cx: client, hx: history, px: patient, one dimensional models of mental disorder, model. Attempts to describe a phenomenon that cannot be directly observed a. i. a. ii. Models are intrinsically limited and cannot explain every aspect of a disorder a. ii. 1. Human behaviors are complex: models of psychopathology b. i. biological , physical, social and sociocultural, models that incorporate multiple theories, biopsychosocial model a. i. Forebrain- higher level mental processes and decision making. Cerebral cortex- outer layer: dysfunction in the prefrontal cortex may result in difficulty, executive functioning- decision making, organization and evaluating incoming stimuli c. Impulse control and forethought: limbic system, thalamus, hypothalamus, hippocampus c. i. Involved in formation, organization and storing of memories: amygdala d. i. Physiological reactivity and emotional memories: brain composed of neurons and are facilitated by neurotransmitters, other biological contributions, genes (heredity) e. i. Science increasingly rejects idea of one gene for one disease: e. i. 1.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers