Astronomy
Course
ASTR 100
Professor
Govindrajan
Semester
Fall

Description
ASTRONOMY LECTURE 16 10/2/13 Mercury & Venus 1. Terrestrial Planets a. Can stand on them b. Mercury, Venus, earth, mars c. Few moons 2. General properties of Mercury a. Mass: 5.5 % of Earth’s mass b. Diameter 38% Earth’s diameter c. Mean Density 5430 kg/m^3 d. Gravitational field 40% of Earths e. Albedo 12% f. Weak Magnetic Field less than 1% of Earths g. Year is 88 Earth days h. Day is 59 Earth days i. Ratio of resonance is 3/2 1. Orbital period/ rotational period ii. Not quite a synchronized orbit i. No atmosphere j. Temperatures are very extreme on both ends k. No moons 3. Mercury’s Details a. Mariner 10 visited in 1970’s i. Only was able to photograph half mercury b. NASAs Messenger put in orbit in 2011 i. Slowed down by weird orbit’s around Earth and Venus to orbit  Mercury with little energy so it could fall into orbit 1.  Photographed the rest of mercury c. Surface resembles that of the moon i. Lava Basalt on surface ii. Instead of Maria Mercury has open plains d. Impact craters have smaller ejecta blankets i. Higher gravitational fields e. Water is in craters near the poles f. No erosion: surface is ancient g. Mercury surface feature: Caloris Basin. Rings of mountains around mare i. Caloris Basin is a huge crater that looks like a bull’s­eye 4. Interior of Mercury: Liquid Iron Core a. Iron and nickel core extends out to 85% of its radius b. Small magnetic field is likely a result of its slow rotation rate 5. General Properties of Venus a. Sister planet of Earth b. Mass 81% of Earth c. Radius 95% of Earth d. Mean Density 5240 kg/m^3 similar to earths e. Albedo 65% f. No magnetic field
More Less

Related notes for ASTR 100

OR

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit