ANTH 320 Lecture Notes - Lecture 25: Suryavarman I, Theravada, Baphuon

24 views2 pages
23 Nov 2016
School
Department
Course

Document Summary

New artists, designers and stone cutters may have been brought in and with them. Suryavarman i had well organized and hierarchal administrative system. New urban developments required increased building actiivy, restoration and. Lecture 25: early 11th century (suryavarman i) sees shift to pediment as primary carrier and introduction of mythological themes, mid 11th century is the first evidence of narrative (baphuon). Wall panels depict daily life of rishis (ascetics) and scenes from hindu epics. Pediments become fully narrative, while lintels arenow only heraldic: 12th c sees height of narriative art in bas reliefs of angkor wat and bayon. Long and complex narrative programs on extensive gallery walls: 13th c sees reduction of narrative art; potentially related to arrival of theravada. Buddhism and reduction of space with smaller tempels. Udayaityavarman ii erection of new sacred monuments that required decoration. new visual narrative techniques. Lintel carving increased in quantity and quality during the 9th and 10th centuries.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers