CLCIV 101 Lecture 15: Lecture 15

2 Pages

Department
Classical Civilization
Course Code
CLCIV 101
Professor
Richard Janko

This preview shows 80% of the first page. Sign up to view the full 2 pages of the document.
Description
Lecture 15 1. The rise of Athens as artistic center of Greece a. Foundations laid by policies of Solon and Pisistratus b. Wealth of Athenian Empire c. Reactionary regime in Sparta d. Persian Conquest of Ionia e. Archaic period (700-500 BCE) f. Classical Period (from 500 BCE) g. Drama (tragedy & comedy) h. pottery i. History j. Architecture, sculpture, painting k. Techniques and aesthetics 2. Thermon a. Plans of early wooden & later stone Temple of Apollo, 8th-7th century b. Lefkandi: chieftains house 10th century 3. Temples a. Temple of Hera, Olympia 600 BCE b. c. d. Ionic Order: Erechtheum, Athens 410 BCE e. Corinthian Order: Temple of Olympian Zeus, Athens f. Egyptian Temple at Luxor 1450 BCE g. Temple of Apollo, Corinth, with monolithic (limestone) columns 550 BCE h. Temple of “Concord”, Acragas, Sicily with monolithic sandstone columns i. The Parthenon by Ictinus, 447-438 BCE in marble j. Athens: Plan of Older Parthenon in 490 BCE with 6x16 columns k. Pericles rebuilds the Acropolis 447 BCE l. Ictinus’ optical illusions: l.i. Columns taper at top, bulge in middle l.ii. Columns leads in, upper parts le
More Less
Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

Only 80% of the first page are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document
Subscribers Only

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit