Fall 2016

Department
Classical Civilization
Course Code
CLCIV 101
Professor
Richard Janko
Lecture

This preview shows page 1. Sign up to view the full 3 pages of the document.
Lecture 14
1. Athens after the Persian Wars
a. 479-431 BCE: rise of the Athenian Empire in the Aegean
b. Athens as leading cultural center of Greece
2. Reasons for Athens’ cultural supremacy
a. Panathenaic Games fostered by Pisistratus
b. Pisistratus setup first festival for tragic drama
c. Cleisthenes’ democratic reforms of 508 → Athens most progressive city in
Greece
d. rise of Athenian Empire > people go to Athens on business
e. wealth of Athens > artistic commissions in Athens
3. Herodotus of Halicarnassus, 484-425 BCE
a. Moved to Athens
b. Wrote his histories to praise Athens
4. Drama “action”
a. Narrative, e.g. epic: single performer
b. Lyric single performer or chorus (choros “dance”)
c. Drama: several actors & chorus in costume (comic chorus as donkeys!)
d. Humorous drama=comedy
e. Serious drama=tragedy
f. Comic chorus: 24, tragic chorus: 15, later 12
5. Dramatic festivals of Dionsysus
a. Lenaea in January, especially in comedy
b. City Dionysia in May, founded 534 BCE
6. First tragic poet: Thepsis, 534 BCE (lost)
a. Earliest surviving tragic poet: Aeschylus, 524-456
i. Wrote The Persians, 470, about the battle of Salamis to honor
Themistocles
7. Sophocles, 496-406
a. Friend of Herodotus
b. Wrote Oedipus the King and Antigone
8. Euripides, 485-406
a. Wrote Medea and Bacchae
9. Theaters
a. Epidaurus seats 20,000
b. Theater of Dionysus
c. Theater of Athens seats 17,000
d. Consists of a stage (skene) where play is performed and an orchestra when the
chorus performs
e. Ekkylema for wheeling out bodies to symbolize death of a character
f. Crane (mechane) for flying gods
10. How plays were performed:
a. Archon grants actors to three tragic poets at state expense
find more resources at oneclass.com
find more resources at oneclass.com

Loved by over 2.2 million students

Over 90% improved by at least one letter grade.

Leah — University of Toronto

OneClass has been such a huge help in my studies at UofT especially since I am a transfer student. OneClass is the study buddy I never had before and definitely gives me the extra push to get from a B to an A!

Leah — University of Toronto
Saarim — University of Michigan

Balancing social life With academics can be difficult, that is why I'm so glad that OneClass is out there where I can find the top notes for all of my classes. Now I can be the all-star student I want to be.

Saarim — University of Michigan
Jenna — University of Wisconsin

As a college student living on a college budget, I love how easy it is to earn gift cards just by submitting my notes.

Jenna — University of Wisconsin
Anne — University of California

OneClass has allowed me to catch up with my most difficult course! #lifesaver

Anne — University of California
Description
Lecture 14 1. Athens after the Persian Wars a. 479-431 BCE: rise of the Athenian Empire in the Aegean b. Athens as leading cultural center of Greece 2. Reasons for Athens’ cultural supremacy a. Panathenaic Games fostered by Pisistratus b. Pisistratus setup first festival for tragic drama c. Cleisthenes’ democratic reforms of 508 → Athens most progressive city in Greece d. rise of Athenian Empire > people go to Athens on business e. wealth of Athens > artistic commissions in Athens 3. Herodotus of Halicarnassus, 484-425 BCE a. Moved to Athens b. Wrote his histories to praise Athens 4. Drama “action” a. Narrative, e.g. epic: single performer b. Lyric single performer or chorus (choros “dance”) c. Drama: several actors & chorus in costume (comic chorus as donkeys!) d. Humorous drama=comedy e. Serious drama=tragedy f. Comic chorus: 24, tragic chorus: 15, later 12 5. Dramatic festivals of Dionsysus a. Lenaea in January, especially in comedy b. City Dionysia in May, founded 534 BCE 6. First tragic poet: Thepsis, 534 BCE (lost) a. Earliest surviving tragic poet: Aeschylus, 524-456 a.i. Wrote The Persians, 470, about the battle of Salamis to honor Themistocles 7. Sophocles, 496-406 a. Friend of Herodotus b. Wrote Oedipus the King and Antigone 8. Euripides, 485-406 a. Wrote Medea and Bacchae 9. Theaters a. Epidaurus seats 20,000 b. Theater of Dionysus c. Theater of Athens seats 17,000 d. Consists of a stage (skene) where play is performed and an orchestra when the chorus performs e. Ekkylema for wheeling out bodies to symbolize death of a character f. Crane (mechane) for flying gods 10. How plays were performed: a. Archon grants actors to three tragic poets at state expense b. Each poet gets choregos (wealthy sponsor) c. Poet responsible for words, music, direction d. The text is only a script or screen-play 11. The City Dionysia, Athens a. 4 days b. The only form of mass entertainment c. Dramatized tales about heroes d. About serious issues e. Attendance was important f. Day 1 f.i. Image of Dionysus is brought in f.ii. Proagon parade “before the contest” with” f.ii.1. The orphans of veterans f.ii.2. Envoys from EMpire bringing tribute f.ii.3. Poets, actors, and sponsors g. Day 2 g.i. Contest in the dithyramb (chorus of 50 in honor of Dionysus) g.ii. Prize: a bull h. 1 trilogy=3 tragedies (“goat-song”) & 1 satyr-play per day h.i. comedies=
More Less
Unlock Document
Start your 2 week free trial

Only page 1 are available for preview. Some parts have been intentionally blurred.

Unlock Document
You're Reading a Preview

Unlock to view full version

Unlock Document

Share with your friends

Get 2 friends to sign-up for a free trial as well, and get an additional free week

Next

You've reached the limit of 4 previews this month

Create an account for unlimited previews.

Already have an account?

OR

Don't have an account?

Join OneClass

Access over 10 million pages of study
documents for 1.3 million courses.

Join to view

OR

By registering, I agree to the Terms and Privacy Policies
Already have an account?
Just a few more details

So we can recommend you notes for your school.

Reset Password

Please enter below the email address you registered with and we will send you a link to reset your password.

Add your courses

Get notes from the top students in your class.

Submit