HONORS 232 Lecture Notes - Lecture 14: Carnivore, Monosaccharide, Lignin

60 views4 pages
9 Jan 2019
School
Department

Document Summary

Lecture 14: food constituents, water, protein, carbohydrates, fat, vitamins and minerals, food items, animals protein, fat, water, vitamins and minerals, carbs (chitin in exoskeleton of insects) Not much energy (carbs) come from vertebrates i. ii: while gluconeogenesis occurs continually in obligate carnivores like cats (glucose synthesized from amino acids, fatty acids, and fats). In omnivores, this only happens during starvation, and is slow and inefficient. Ketones from fat cells can be metabolized for glucose. Frugivores have low, rounded cusps that can crush but not tear. Based on chimp rates of chewing, hominins can only swallow 400 calories per hour when chewing raw mood iv. v. vi: fruit i. Source of sugar, starch, and water: flowers i. ii. Eaten by small primates: woody stems and bark i. Cambium and phloem have carbs and protein: lignin cannot be digested without micro fermentation, leaves and stems i, sap. Cellulose (increases with age), protein, water, vitamins and minerals: water, minerals, and sugar, gum i.

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers