ENVIRSCI 214 Lecture Notes - Lecture 12: Ecological Niche, Allelopathy, Competitive Exclusion Principle

28 views2 pages

Document Summary

Sources of competition are most commonly food, water in habitats, light for plants, space for nesting, space for sessile organisms. Exploitation competition- individuals compete indirectly for limited resources. Each has equal access to the resource and reduces availability to all. Interference- individuals compete directly for a limited resource. Allelopathy- the plants releasing toxins that interfere with germination and growth of competitors. Exploitation example: someone in a gold mine, taking as much gold as possible without caring about what others were doing. I(cid:374)terfere(cid:374)(cid:272)e: si(cid:374)ki(cid:374)g other people"s (cid:271)oats, killi(cid:374)g others to get (cid:373)ost gold for yourself, what"s my competitor doing. Interspecific- occurs between individuals of two species sharing the use of a resource that limits their growth, survival, and reproduction. Gf gause and the competitive exclusion principle- if resources are limiting, no two species can occupy the same niche indefinitely without competition driving one to extinction,

Get access

Grade+20% off
$8 USD/m$10 USD/m
Billed $96 USD annually
Grade+
Homework Help
Study Guides
Textbook Solutions
Class Notes
Textbook Notes
Booster Class
40 Verified Answers